The Phoenixville Area School District is gearing up for the start of classes one week from Monday (Aug. 26) and this week the district's new teachers have been getting schooled on their new schools and the district.
Sixteen new teachers join the ranks of the PASD faculty this year, according to District Superintendent Dr. Alan Fegley. Fegley tells Phoenixville Patch that there were more than 2,000 applicants for the four or five positions open in the district's elementary schools. The new teachers will replace retiring or resigning teachers as well as fill positions created by increased enrollments in the elementary schools. The roster of new teachers includes a "half-time" Elementary Orchestra Director who is a professional musician who is moving to Phoenixville from Washington, DC.
New PASD Teachers By the NumbersAccording to a fact sheet provided to Patch by the school district, the new teachers:
- Are graduates of 12 different universities
- 7 have Masters Degrees
- 9 have more than one certification
- 2 have multiple bachelor's degrees
- Each is a summa cum laude or magna cum laude college graduate.
- 1 has seven years experience in the private sector as a Graphic/Multimedia Designer for Delware Investments
- 1 is a former Phoenixville Area High School valedictorian
- 1 was Rookie of the Year, Captain and MVP of her college soccer team
- 1 is certified as a Human Trafficking Awareness and Prevention Trainer
- 1 was awarded a college scholarship for women's crew and was captain of her college rowing team.