Whether you have a New Year's resolution to be more physically active or just like to support good causes, there are plenty of organized runs to help you do so in early 2013.
Below is a list of nearby runs and other ways to exercise in the New Year.
Monday, December 31
- The Upper Main Line YMCA New Year's Eve 5k takes place "snow or shine" in the Berwyn neighborhoods surrounding the Y. Registration starts at 7 a.m. and the race begins at 9 a.m. Race day admission is $30.
Tuesday, January 1
- When better to start your workout commitment than on Commitment Day? The Philadelphia 5K is open ended -- allowing for runners, walkers or folks with babies in strollers -- in an effort to promote commitment to physical activity. The event begins at 11 a.m. Registration can be done online or on the day of the event for $39 for adults. Children under 17 are free with a paid adult.
- Stanley's Dream 5K Run, a race to fight childhood brain cancer, will be taking place in West Chester. Registration prior to Dec. 23 is $20. Post-deadline registration is $25.
Saturday, January 5
- The Athlete's Closet winter series will be holding four races -- three 5Ks and a 5-mile race. The January 5 race is a 5K and costs $15 for that race only. Each race of the series costs $15.
Saturday, January 12
- Philadelphia will be holding the GORUCK Challenge. The GORUCK Challenge isn't a race, but a series of military-esque team missions. The $10 entry fee benefits the Green Beret Foundation, which provides support to those wounded, ill and in-need in the Special Forces community.
Sunday, January 13
- Ever dreamed of running up Philadelphia's Art Museum steps, Rocky style, to complete a 5.5-mile run? The Rocky Steps Running Tour's your chance. The event costs $40. Be sure to download the theme song on your iPod for your own sense of empowerment in this run.
Saturday, January 19
- The Liberty Bell 5K Running Tour in Philadelphia will cost $25. Registration ends Jan. 18.
- The Winter Pickle Run will be held at Ridley Creek State Park at 9 a.m. There are two routes -- one is about three miles and the other is about four miles.
Saturday, January 26
- The Liberty Bell 5K Running Tour will take place through historic areas of Philadelphia at the cost of $25.
Saturday, February 2
- The Athlete's Closet winter series will be holding four races -- three 5Ks and a 5-mile race. The February 2 race is a 5K and costs $15.
Saturday, March 2
- The Athlete's Closet winter series will be holding four races -- three 5Ks and a 5-mile race. The March 2 race is five miles and costs $15.