Editor's Note: The following was submitted on behalf of . For a full list of February's events, see the attached PDF.
By: Kathy Clarke, RN, MS, CCRN
Did you know that cardiovascular disease is the #1 killer of women in the United States?
Heart disease kills about 60 women each hour in the United States, with 64 percent of women having no previous symptoms. Also, cardiovascular disease contributes to about one third of deaths in women. It is important for women to be aware of the risk and the steps they can take to protect themselves.
February is “Go Red for Women” month and there is no better time for women to learn facts about heart disease, how to reduce their risk and which symptoms to be aware of. Throughout the month of February, Phoenixville Hospital will be offering free education events, health screenings and fun activities for the women of our community, including a Go Red Zumba party on Feb. 19 at the Phoenixville YMCA.
In addition, the hospital is partnering with local school districts, businesses and community organizations to get the word out about Go Red for Women month. Here is a partial list of our events. Come out and learn what you can do to protect yourself and your family from heart disease.
- Friday, Feb. 3 is National Wear Red Day. Wear red to show your support for the fight against heart disease.
- On Tuesday, Feb. 14 we will present a Valentine’s Day Heart Healthy Celebration at Phoenixville Hospital at 1 p.m. Call 610-983-1452 to RSVP.
- On Sunday, Feb. 19 our Go Red Zumba Party will be held at the from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Come try out the latest fitness craze for a great cause. (Donations of $10 or more are suggested. All proceeds will go directly to the American Heart Association.) Call 484-504-ZUMB or visit www.zumbapa.com to register. Space is limited, so call now.
- On Friday, Feb. 24 our Paint the Town Red Celebration will be held at Robert Ryan Catering, , at 6 p.m. Tickets are $60 per person with proceeds going to the American Heart Association. Call 610-983-1452 for tickets.
- On Monday, Feb. 27 a Heart Health Expo will be held at the Phoenixville YMCA from 9 to 11 a.m. Come out to learn about what you can do to lower your risk of heart disease and live a healthier lifestyle. Call 610-983-1288 or visit www.PhoenixvilleHospital.com to register.
- There will also be free blood pressure screenings at Phoenixville Hospital on Feb. 8, 14, and 23 from 11:15 a.m. until 1:15 p.m. Call 610-983-1288 for more information.
Check out Phoenixville Patch next week for another article about “Go Red for Women” month for more information about heart disease and upcoming events.